Augmented Reality (AR) is on its way to becoming a true game changer for eCommerce. While it’s still a developing technology, the promise of augmented reality is attracting the support of some of the biggest companies in the world. Facebook famously announced its push into the metaverse in 2021, building on the momentum it had created in the consumer world through the success of Oculus. Microsoft has been supporting the HoloLens for quite some time, helping businesses create new possibilities in everything from engineering to trade shows. And Apple represents the largest AR platform in the world, with AR capabilities built into their latest phones and tablets.
Consider the impact that AR technology is already having on the world of eCommerce, according to Statista:
- The mobile AR marketing was 9.5bn USD in 2021 and is expected to grow rapidly
- The number of mobile AR users in 2021 was 810 million
- AR glasses unit sales reached 410K in 2021
In the world of business, AR is already changing the way we work. With AR instructions, employees can be trained on how to use or repair machinery or equipment. Industrial maintenance can be made much more cost-effective and easier to perform. Engineering efficiencies can be realized through AR as well, since multiple employees can work collaboratively on a digital file and the data is far easier to share across organizations.
Already a promising and rapidly growing technology, AR will gain even greater prominence as technologies like 5G become more widespread. Advancements in mobile devices, like faster processers, will make AR even more popular – and the unfortunate reality of the ongoing COVID pandemic will continue to drive the need for more remote work and shopping options.
The Benefits of AR, VR and 3D
As an eCommerce marketer, you already know how adding enhanced digital content can help your sales grow. With AR and VR, where shoppers can actually feel like they are holding a product in their hand, the possibilities are almost endless – as are the benefits to your sales funnel. Augmented reality technology has been proven to:
- Reduce returns and misconfigured orders. Buyers can experience your products like never before – viewing them from all angles, interacting with them and experiencing enhanced content like hot spots. This not only enhances buyer confidence, it improves the buyer’s understanding of the product, so they place more accurate orders.
- Build a better brand experience. Since AR can be customized to your company’s needs, your AR and VR shopping experiences can be uniquely branded – and a true differentiator. Plus, since your customers will find AR shopping to be an easier and more convenient choice, they are more likely to return. For configured or bespoke products, a 3D configurator can reduce sales cycles from hours or days to minutes, since your customer can self-service from any phone, tablet or computer.
- Boost your sales. Companies like Amazon have found that high quality content can boost sales by up to 5%. At CDS Visual, we have seen our clients increase conversions rates by up to 22% with enhanced and enriched product content.
The best part about AR technology is that it’s far easier – and far more cost-effective – than you might think. CDS Visual can build 3D models from your CAD or engineering files, resulting in stunning product experiences that are actually cheaper than traditional photos or videos. We also work to create mixed reality solutions by leveraging 3D CAD assets from PLM, enabling the creation of assets like HoloLens optimized work instructions. In augmented reality, we create product experiences for sales presentations, trade shows and training applications. Ready to see how to put AR, VR and 3D to work for you? Request a free customized demonstration